See the steps below for connecting your Printrbot LED strip to a Rev F Printrboard. A couple of quick notes:
- Most Recent Firmware Required - Before beginning this installation, follow this guide to update the firmware on your Printrboard. Without updating firmware, your LED strip will not work.
- Header Pins Required - Some Printrboards have been manufactured without these pins. These header pins are available at printrbot.com.
- Your Wire Colors Will Almost Certainly Vary - Various colors of extension wires are shipped out with this product. Disregard the wire colors throughout this guide and pay special attention to the wire position, i.e; ground, signal, power, 5v, etc.
...okay, now let's get started.
1. Identify Ground, 5V & Signal.
If you are looking at the back of your LED strip, the pins are ordered (top to bottom): Signal / 5v / Ground. After identifying these pins, attach your 3-pin extension wire to the LED Strip and then connect your extension breakout. In this example, signal will be black, 5v (power) will be gray, and ground will be white.
2. Pin Out Your Wiring
See the images below to connect your single wires to the proper pins on your Printrboard.
*Download larger versions of these images at the bottom of this article.
3. Power ON Your LEDs!
Connect your Printrbot via USB and send the command "M355 S1 C0" from your control software. Your LEDs will illuminate white. Nice work! See a few more commands below.
- S1 - Power ON
- S0 - Power OFF
- C0 - White
- C1 - Red
- C2 - Green
- C3 - Blue
- C4 - White
- C5 - Yellow
- C6 - Magenta
- C7 - Cyan
- B0-B255 - Brightness ranging from zero to 255
Example: M355 S1 C2 B127
Result: Lights will power ON, with the color green at half brightness.
See more examples of how to use your Printrbot LEDs in this video.